Sunday, September 15, 2013

Before and After



Before

Here is my newest project.  I picked the shadow box up at an upscale resale store. They were asking $28.  I got them down to $20.  It measures 22"Hx18"Wx2.5"D.  This is going to be taken apart. I'm going to repaint it.  Of course, I'm making it into a Snowy Owl with birch trees in the background for the white on white bedroom that I am currently decorating.  Continue reading this blog for the "after"  reveal.

Steps taken to the reveal:

Step 1.  I had to pry off the backboard by removing 36 staples.  The staples were very tiny (about 1/8th of an inch), so I used a tiny screwdriver from an eyeglass repair kit and some needle nose pliers to remove the staples.




Step 2.  Remove owl and branch from the backboard.  It was attached with 3 screws.

Step 3.  Prepare background board by scraping and lightly sanding.  Here is where my project made a turn.  I started thinking of my birch tree wallpaper I had hanging in my kitchen and how the frame on the picture matched the same tone as my cabinets.  So I decided to turn my project into a picture for the kitchen and to use the birch tree wallpaper for the background.



Step 4.  Wallpaper the background.  The paper was prepasted.  I placed the paper over the board, and ran my finger around the edges to form a crease.  I cut the crease with a pair of scissors. Then, using warm water, I dipped the wallpaper into the water and placed it on the board.

Step 5.  Next, coat the eyes with petroleum jelly to protect them from the paint, while transforming into the Snowy Owl.



Step 6.  Reattach the painted Snowy Owl to the background with a hot glue gun.  Then flip the board over to secure with staples using a staple gun.

Step 7.  Finally, place the shadow box face down, lay the backboard also face down into the shadow box.  Line up your frame and staple the background to the frame using the staple gun.

The Reveal!!!
After



Keep Creating!!!

Nancy

No comments:

Post a Comment