Sunday, September 8, 2013

Hydrangeas Drying and Spray Painting


This is a beautiful example of a Limelight Hydrangea.

Hydrangeas are one of my favorite flowers. They are pretty easy to dry, if you time it right. Try to pick them as they are beginning to dry naturally on the branch, usually late August or September.  I prefer to keep the stem approximately 18 inches long.  When I decide what arrangement I'd like to put them in, then I trim the stems to fit my arrangement.  Place them in a vase with water, out of direct sunlight.  Eventually, the flower will begin to dry in its natural shape.  This process takes approximately two weeks.  If the hydrangea starts to wilt, it was picked too early.  Once the hydrangea is completely dry, you can use indoor matte spray paint and spray paint them any color you choose.  When you spray paint the flowers, use very light coats and keep 10-12 inches distance. You can use up to 3 different colors. It's best to start with the lightest color first, then graduate to the darkest color.


Here's the finished project!


Enjoy your flowers!

Nancy

No comments:

Post a Comment